Tuesday, April 24, 2012

There's Enough Room in the Pool for Everyone


 Thursday night was so good. I spent time with a group of local women writers.  Creativity and talent was everywhere. I was out of the house, surrounded by other writers who were ready to connect and grow.  But I wasn’t being careful.  I started to compare.  All day Friday I was in a funk. My motivation was gone. I felt like I had a million things that needed to get done, and no motivation to even get started, much less finish a task.   It’s not the length of my to-do list that gets me down; it’s the feeling of worthlessness that goes along with it.  I know I’m not worthless, but I start to feel like anything I attempt to do is not good enough.  And it doesn’t make me think “this isn’t good enough, I should try harder” but “I’m not good enough, I shouldn’t try at all.”

 I’ve been enthusiastically blogging for a few weeks but suddenly I was too intimidated to even begin a post.  I spend some of the evening really thinking and praying about this feeling.  I realized I was comparing myself to all the people I had just met.  This is never a good idea.   Sometimes I feel like I’m more (this makes me ugly on the inside) and sometimes I feel like I’m less (this makes me give up.)  It really is a no win.

 I whined to Jason about my feelings of inferiority so he could give me a pep talk.  And while his support is always appreciated, this time it took a little pep talk giving inside myself to feel better. I don’t struggle with this very often. Thankfully.  I know I’m too much for some people, but I am who I am.
There’s a lid for every pot.
There’s enough room in the pool for everyone.     

   

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this, Abbie. You perfectly summed up exactly what I haven't been able to put my finger on lately for myself. I needed this! ~Keli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I'm glad my post helped and I hope you're feeling better. This comparison thing is a hard one.
      Abbie

      Delete
  2. I love this post and so true....it's difficult to always figure out where we fit in, but most of the time, we are right where we need to be!

    New follower and linking up through Follow Me Wednesday.

    Have a great day!

    ~Samantha
    http://www.thepeanutsgang.com/2012/04/ordinary.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha,
      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment (and follow!) I'm still dealing with this comparision thing...working on it a lot lately.
      Abbie

      Delete
  3. Great post, Im a new follower from the blog hop.

    1momma3boys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and welcome. Glad to have you following.
      Abbie

      Delete
  4. Oh, I have known the intimidating feelings too-- thanks for candidly sharing your bout with them.

    Aloha,
    I'm following you from Follow Me Wednesday, and am so very glad I found this little gem. I'd love it if you'd come join the ride at localsugarhawaii.com. It's a come as you are kinda blog and we'd love to have you along for the ride.

    xo,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nicole,
    Thanks for the comments. I took a visit over to your blog. It's so pretty over there! (but I'm not comparing, haha)
    Abbie

    ReplyDelete