Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Live Every Day


One of the best pieces of advice I have received about becoming a writer is: write every day. Well, I haven’t written in days.  Last week and this week I had the opportunity to babysit for a four year old we go to church with.  It has been great getting a glimpse into my future life as the mom of a boy.  Lots of throwing the football, playing Wii and Lego fights.  I have to say I don’t know how work outside the home moms do it.  I can’t even figure out how ya’ll handle more than one child.  A baby and a four year old has been eye opening, to say the least.
But tonight I have time to write, which really means I have a few minutes to reconnect with myself.  To sit and be still.  As I opened the computer and took a few beats to collect my thoughts, I was surprised at how empty my head was.  I would have thought I would be brimming with words and phrases just waiting to be poured out.  But I was empty.  It’s interesting how writing everyday leaves me constantly inspired and flowing, but bottling up can so easily lead to a dry spell. 
Life and passion is like that.  Constantly pouring yourself into your passions or pouring your life into others is energizing.  Of course rest is important, so important, but everyday let your passion flow.  A moving river is healthier than a stagnate pond.  I’m going to do my best to remember writing is the best way to feel full and giving myself away is the best way to live.       


2 comments: