Thursday, January 3, 2013

Wishes and Resolutions



I love making New Year’s resolutions.  There’s just something about all those possibilities.  So much hope.  So much promise.  I’m pretty good at it, too.  I’ve been making resolutions for a long time.  When I was a girl, my Mama (always the teacher) made Chad and I write out our resolutions every New Year.  We had to include a physical, spiritual, finical, and educational goal.  I always went a step farther and added “get a boyfriend.”  (So happy that’s not on the list anymore!)

My track record for keeping resolutions is completely different.  I love making resolutions.  I don’t love keeping them.  I’m not so good at turning my resolutions into goals.  Goals are good, but for me, year long goals are not good.  They are too big.  They are too hard to restart.  They are too easily forgotten and postponed.  Smaller is better.  Goals for today.  Goals for this week.    
  
My resolutions are basically wishes, hopes and dreams.  And I’m okay with that.  I’m going to make a list of New Year’s resolutions and I’m going to enjoy the hope and the possibility without mucking them up with deadlines and flow charts to success.  Goals are good.  Wishes are better. 

2 comments:

  1. I'd love for you to share your New Years Wishes when you get them done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the plan! I'm looking forward to getting some goal setting tips at Voices....

    ReplyDelete