Friday, October 18, 2013

Falling into Fall



When do you feel like fall has arrived?  

 Is it when the temperature turns chilly?   

Is it when the leaves begin change? 

Or do you just go by the date on the calendar?
I live in coastal South Carolina and even though I can tell when summer leaves and autumn arrives, most of the country would argue that we don’t have a true fall season.  The leaves don’t change and the temperature only drops to the 80’s but we have other signs to mark the passing of summer.
The tourists leave town.
So maybe we don’t have a dramatic shift in climate to introduce the coming season, but that doesn’t mean I don’t make my own fall to enjoy.

I Love...
 
I love scented candles. I burn them all year round, but around late September, I begin to transition from citrus to spice.  This year I’m burning a Harvest scented Yankee Candle. Harvest has a stronger nutmeg scent instead of the tradition cinnamon scented fall classics.   
I love all things pumpkin. Pumpkin Spice Lattes, pumpkin doughnuts, decorative pumpkins.  I love them all.  My mom bought me a pack of instant pumpkin lattes from Starbucks.  You add hot milk and voila! Sweet and spicy, creamy goodness. (I don’t know if I mentioned it yet, but I live an hour away from the closest Starbucks now.) 
I love my Crockpot. So it’s still in the high 80’s during the day but it’s been dropping down to a practically freezing 67 degrees in the evenings. Cool enough for comfort food but not cool enough to turn on the oven without cranking down the AC. I’ve made chicken and rice soup, pot roast and beef stew. Last week I found a recipe on Pinterest for Crockpot pumpkin butter and I can’t wait to try out this double shot of autumn. 
I love apple caramel.  This love affair is new to fall 2013 and began a few weeks ago at Steak and Shake with an Apple Caramel Milkshake. Have you ever had something so good it made you wish you were pregnant so you would have an excuse to eat one every day? Oh, just me?  Then you haven’t tried this milkshake.
 What do you love about fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment