Thursday, November 7, 2013

Just Dream


I always thought dreamers were mystical thinkers with thoughts and ideas flowing from their brain in a stream of consciousness that could only be understood by another dreamer. 
I always thought dreamers were rule breakers, out to upset the status quo and go against the grain. 
I always thought dreamers wore long, flowing skirts and had wavy, “hippy” hair.  (I have no idea why I thought they looked like that, but I did.)
I am none of these things.  I follow rules and it really bugs me when others don’t. My thoughts are usually balanced and analytical.  I don’t wear a lot of flowing clothing and I keep my hair pulled back in a neat ponytail. I didn't consider myself a dreamer.
Dreamers kind of get a bad rap sometimes. Think about all the advice you hear during graduation speeches.
“A dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.”~Harvey Mackay.
I get what he’s saying, but this quote makes the dreaming sound worthless. He doesn’t see the value in just having a dream.
A few months ago, I had the opportunity to join a group of people with big dreams.  By spending time with people who were encouraging and supportive, the title of “dreamer” lost its ugly stigma and I have been able to think of myself as a dreamer.
The funny thing about dreams is how fragile they are.  They can’t be shared with just anyone and they need to be protected and cultivated before they can face the big, bad world and survive.  I have been dreaming for years, but my dreams couldn’t begin to come true until I found a place I could share my ideas and have those ideas fed and nourished.
Not all my dreams are big and audacious.  Some are small and just matter to me.  Some are easy. Some will never come true. Some have a plan. Some don’t. 
The dreaming is not worthless.  If you only hope to accomplish things that can be given a plan and deadline, you are going to sell your future short. The act of dreaming has value. Dreaming expands your soul and opens your mind to possibilities.  Dreaming produces hope. 
If you have a dream, big or small that you want to share, I would love to hear it and encourage you.   You can leave it in the comments, send me a message on facebook or send me an email at abbie.unger@gmail.com.

As for my current dream in process, I’m writing a novel this month as part of NaNoWriMo and starting a flight attendant career coaching business.
 So, what’s your dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment